Friday 15 March 2013

Judgement on Libel Action - a brief statement


I am struggling to find the words to describe how I feel but further to the judgement handed down today I would like to make the following brief statement;

I am absolutely devastated by this judgement and I believe it is a miscarriage of justice. I would never have embarked on fifteen months of litigation and endured a six day trial in the High Court if I had not felt entirely justified in my action.

I have always acted in good faith, my motives have always been honest and sincere and have merely criticised the council where I felt it appropriate, and have never had a complaint until the counter claim was issued.

I want to thank everyone for their support. I am now in discussions with my lawyers concerning the possibility of an appeal.

This has potentially opened the floodgates for similar actions and I believe this judgement has dire consequences for others who publicly scrutinise and criticise their local authority, including the press.

I do not recognise the picture which has been painted of me, anybody who knows me or has met me will know that it is wrong.

I have no idea where I'm going to get £25,000 from, I haven't got £25. I am lost for words at the kind offers of financial help but this is my problem and it would not be right to accept such kind generosity.

I am trying to remain positive and will try and continue with my blog and calls for transparency as best I can under the circumstances.

Once again, thank you all for your kind words and support.

Jacqui

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you. I live in Ceredigion but this is bigger than just Carmarthenshire. Something will be worked out I'm sure and I will help as much as can. Adparwr

Anonymous said...

Please let us help you Jaqui! We need to support those that support us . . . . YOU!!!!!

Pictures can be painted, they have no bearing on us as the public and our opinion of you!! Chin up!!!

X

Jon said...

Please reconsider accepting offers of help. My contribution would only be modest, but I'm sure that many people would welcome the opportunity to demonstrate in concrete terms their contempt for the way the Council operates and their disappointment in a judgement that suppresses freedom of speech.

glynbeddau said...

Like many I am shocked at this it is not only blow to you its a blow to justice and democracy.

I hope that the future will see you totally vindicated.

In the meantime can I assure whilst the establishment is clearly working against you. The vast majority of ordinary people are behind you.

Morag said...

Just wanted to offer my best wishes. Its a rotten judgement. When you have had a bit of time to yourself to mull it all over - let us all know & what we can do to help!

Anonymous said...

Ironically, Article 19 of the Human Rights state, "We all have the right to make up our own minds, to think what we like, to say what we think, and to share our ideas with other people wherever they live, through books, radio, television and in other ways."

My mind is made up! I know nothing about libel law but what I do know is that the picture painted of you in the judgement, is NOT the Jacqui Thompson we know and respect.

Jacqui as my Mother and Father used to tell me, "A problem shared is a problem halved." Please permit the people who have and continue to support you, demonstrate their gratitude to you for raising awareness and keeping the public informed of the issues and events in Carmarthenshire County Council. If it were not for courageous bloggers like you and whistleblowers like Delyth, then the majority of taxpayers would be oblivious to problems that directly or indirectly affect them.

sospan123 said...

i am so sorry for the outcome ifeel so sad and helpless because you have tried to do what so many of us would like to do but not had the guts to do it
I am a pensioner but would gladly give what i can to help i will keep on looking to see if someone starts a fund up and would gladly send some money.
Last friday was the day democracy died in this Country

Andy said...

Jacqui, this is an absolutely shocking decision, and a really inaccurate picture of you and the work you've been doing with and on behalf of your community.
Please think hard about accepting these offers of help and solidarity from the people who respect and support what you do.
People with your commitment, skills, and tenacity are rare, and it would be a crying shame if you were dissuaded from your work by this ruling.
If there's anything that I can do to help or support please get in touch (@llantwit on twitter).

BLAZINOAH said...

History will absolve you.